Dr. S.M. Davis is a nationally known speaker at churches and conventions, leading the ministry, Solve Family Problems as he gives biblical solutions to critical family and church problems as well as to foresee and avoid problems. He also comes with decades of pastoral ministry.
When it comes to keeping young people in the faith, you may hear about Proverbs 22:6 which says, “Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it.” Should we take this as a 100% guarantee?
While Dr. Davis doesn’t believe this is a 100% guarantee from God, he does believe it is a very strong promise that if we do what we’re supposed to as parents, and not do what we shouldn’t, that we can expect our children will follow God.
In order to help in this regard, Dr. Davis has developed seven steps/principles to guide parents in raising their children. For example:
- Joyfully and regularly emphasize that God is our creator.
- Keep your child focused and interested by teaching him what God wants him to learn.
- Replace all the anger in your marriage and parenting with kindness, love and joy (Ephesians 4:31-32)
- Give your children hope for a good marriage by modeling such a marriage before them.
- Always keep the lines of communication open between you and your child so that a secret doesn’t destroy them.
- Keep your child’s heart by continually reminding yourself to smile and listen and praise.
- Make your child feel included and important by creating a team spirit in your home.
Crosstalk listeners lit up the phone lines as they brought their questions and comments to this important program.